I have hit a brick wall with making stuff and I'm very depressed about how much fabric I've ruined over the last week. I entered a pattern review contest to make an a line skirt. AN A LINE SKIRT, ie the sewing equivalent of spaghetti bolognaise. I made a nice blouse the other week and obviously this stroked my ego enough to make me believe that suddenly I was able to frankenpatter and have it turn out like a Galliano. I was wrong. I tried to make the skirt using the bottom half of this Burda dress pattern and while that was ok I then completely f'd up by trying to be smarter than I actually am. I had envisaged this 50s style poofy skirt with a net underskirt - this turned out to be a complete disaster, I thought I would attach it to some silky poly lining and then gather it and attach it to the waistband but it was so voluminous it looked ridiculous, I looked like a shit meringue. Out came the lining and I had to salvage what I could of the lush galaxy print I had hacked to bits and use a RTW skirt as a template to make my A line.
This was the result
I guess you can see here how pissed off I was that the result of 2 days sewing time was a slightly too short skirt that looked more like a 60s mini than a 50s pleated and underskirted, but then I do love the print and It is a) lined (badly) and b) wearable (just) so at least it wasn't a total bust. However. I had spare of this material because I was planning on making Butterick 5030. I cut it all out at a size 20, 2 sizes above what I actually am as I always do so I can take it in from there. It's probably a lack of confidence or the fact that my hips are where most people have a waist but I always feel better doing that. So when I started to fit this and found it was to small I was really really infuriated, Cue more wastage that I tried and failed to salvage by making a longer A line skirt. I was so close to this that I nearly cried when I did something weird to the waistband and lining and it went horribly wrong, I probably could have saved it but I was so pissed off it went in the bin. As did 4 further meters of fabric that I tried and failed to make into pj bottoms, All in all very frustrating and now Im depressed
Just like Damon